Part of my welcome home dinner for my bf. My original plan was to make Italian minestrone but I didn;t realise that in minestrone the vegetables are really really soft and the beans almost mashed. So I decided to call mine ‘chunky soup’ instead of minestrone.
Makes: 4 portions
3 medium carrots – chopped
2 courgettes – chopped
a large handful of kale – remove the hard stalks, roughly chop
1 onion – chopped
2- 3 small stalks of fresh thyme
A can of cannellini beans – drained and rinsed 2 – 3 times with fresh water
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat about 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a big saucepan. Add the thyme and fry for a couple of minutes to release the fragrance.
2. Add the onions and fry over medium heat until the onions soften.
3. Add the carrots and stir to coat. Let the carrots and onions cook for 8 – 10 min.
4. Add the courgettes and enough water to cover the vegetables. Cook over low heat for 5 min.
5. Add the kale and continue to cook till the vegetables are soft. I reduced the heat to low heat and cooked for about 45min. Remove the stalks from the thyme now before the next step.
6. Blend half of the soup with a food processor and then add it back to the soup.
7. Add the beans.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook at low heat for another 15 – 20min.
I served this with some homemade ciabatta. It was a very nourishing and warm late night dinner dish.