Original recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover
Chinese New Year is approaching and pineapple tarts are a must. Well, they are a favourite all year round, but especially so during this special season.Being away from home and nowhere to buy them here except in London which would then cost a lot a lot, I’ve decided to make them myself. Everyone else seems to be making them anyway so it can’t be too difficult,
Made 2 batches on 2 separate occasions, and although not as pretty as many other bakers’, I am very pleased with my result and certainly enjoy eating them! My friends liked them very much too, so I’d say its a success. Only problem being that they will be finished before the actual Chinese New Year this Saturday!
Makes: ~ 30 pieces
Ingredients for pastry:
175g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
50g sweet condensed milk
1 egg yolk
250g plain flour
Homemade pineapple jam filling: see recipe here.
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp milk
1. Cream them butter with condensed milk till creamy.
2. Add in the egg yolk and continue to stir.
3. Add the flour in small batches, stirring after each addition to get a smooth dough.
4. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30min if it is too soft.
5. Roll of the dough, cut into small pieces and roll each piece into a ball about half the size of a golf ball. Do this for all the pieces before proceeding to the next step.
6. Flatten a piece of the dough to about 5mm, add half a teaspoon of pineapple jam to the center of the dough.
7. Wrap the dough around the jam and place the baking paper on a baking tray.
8. When all the tarts have been wrapped, glaze the top with egg yolk/milk glaze.
9. Bake in a preheated fan oven at 165 deg C, middle shelf for about 23 – 25min.