Finally, I made a proper soft fluffy chiffon cake! I hope this will be beginning of numerous successful chiffon cakes. This was actually the 2nd attempt of the day…
Please click here for the original blogger and recipe. My measurements are all estimates as my weighing scale only goes up in 25g intervals…
Makes: 1 x 17cm chiffon cake
2 egg yolks (I used 50g eggs with shells)
30g vegetable oil (or sunflower/corn oil)
15g freshly squeezed lemon juice
lemon zest (1/4 teaspoon)
35g cake flour
Egg whites from the above 2 eggs
30g caster sugar
Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
1. In a big bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the oil till well mixed. I used a balloon whisk.
2. Add the lemon juice and whisk, then add the zest.
3. Add the cake flour and fold. Do not overwork the flour.
To make the meringue:
1. Beat the egg whites using a hand-held electric beater at low speed till foamy.
2. Whilst still beating, add the sugar in 3 batches.
3. Increase to high speed and beat till stiff peaks form.
4. Scoop 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and fold using balloon whisk. Ensure all meringue are folded in.
5. Use a spatula to gather all the batter from the sides of the bowl and transfer to the 2/3 of meringue.
6. Fold using the balloon whisk.
7. Transfer to a chiffon cake tin. Bang the tin hard on the kitchen top 3 times to remove large air bubbles.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30min. If the top gets too brown, cover with aluminium foil or tray for the last 10 minutes.