Makes: 8 regular scones
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup caster sugar – this was halved from the original recipe but could be further reduced a little as the cranberries are sweetened.
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp Baking soda
juice and finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon – top up with milk to 1/6 cup
1 small egg – full
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
2. In a large mixing flour, put together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Cut the cold butter into cubes and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream with baking soda. Stir to mix well.
5. Add all the wet ingredients to the flour/butter mixture. Work into a rough dough.
6. Add in the cranberries and continue to incorporate all the ingredients into the dough but try not to work the dough too much.
7. Take a small portion and shape into a disc about 1 inch thick.
8. Repeat for all the dough – I got about 8 discs.
9. For the glaze: mix 1 Tbsp milk with 1 Tbsp water, and brush the surface of the scone.
10. Bake in the middle shelf for 18 – 20 min.