After having bright green soup for lunch and dinner over the past 2 days, it was time to change a colour. One of my favourite soup is carrot soup, and it is definitely a different colour to green, so, great!
Instead of the usual carrot coriander soup I make, I added some impromptu ingredients that made the soup creamier and with a bit more substance, not to mention higher nutritional value.
Makes: 4 regular portions
3 shallots – roughly chopped
1 medium potato -peeled and diced into large cubes
3 medium carrots – peeled and roughly chopped
1 heaped Tbsp butter
4 – 5 Tbsp red lentils – rinsed
1 bowl of water
Juice of half orange
Large slice of ginger
Some fresh thyme leaves
salt to taste
Topping: coconut cream or coconut milk
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
2. Keep the stove on medium heat. Add onions and fry for 2 -3 minutes, add potatoes and fry for another 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots and thyme, and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add water, orange and ginger slice
5. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add red lentils and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
7. Add salt to taste.
8. Transfer to a blender and blend till smooth.
Stir in a 1 tsp of coconut milk/cream and serve hot with buttered toast. Oh so tasty, filling and healthy.