Recipe adapted from ‘Delicious Soups’ by Belinda Williams.
Serves: 4 -6
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced to about 1 inch cubes
800ml homemade vegetable stock or water
300g (2 cups) frozen peas
260g fresh spinach – washed ( original recipe called for 400g)
small bunch of fresh mint leaves (about a tbsp)
2 Tbs chopped coriander / cilantro optional
optional – 2/3 cups double/heavy cream
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
topped with grated parmigiano or pan-roasted cherry tomatoes
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
2. Add onions and potatoes and cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
3. Pour in the stock and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
4. Add the peas and simmer for another few minutes until the peas are just soft. – don’t overcook the peas
5. Add fresh spinach and immediately remove the pan from the heat.
6. Blend the soup till roughly smooth, then add fresh herbs and continue to blend until smooth.
7. Stir salt and pepper.
8. Top with grated parmigiana
Lovely healthy tasty green soup, full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients. Packed and ready for tomorrow’s lunch, matched with my homemade toast bread. For some information on the benefits of spinach, here’s the BBC good food link.