Everytime my bf visits I have to make something healthy for him to bring back, usually muffins as they keep better, I usually freeze them. His flight is so early in the morning and the muffins make a nice breakfast for him whilst he waits for his flight.
I am still aiming for the ‘1 tsp of (added) sugar only / muffin’. This time I had carrots and oranges left over so I thought making muffins with them would be perfect.
280g plain flour – about 2 cups
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 tsp caster sugar (for 12 muffins)
1 egg beaten
2 small carrots grated
fresh orange juice 240 ml – ** not mandarins, but the big juicy oranges
zest of 1 orange – avoid the bitter white pith
A handful of raisins soaked in the orange juice
90 ml vegetable oil
1. Line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
2. Preheat the oven to 180deg C.
3. Prepare the dry ingredients in a big bowl.
4. Mix all the wet ingredients together.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well.
6. Using a spatula, fold the dry into the wet – fold until just combined, do not over mix, I did this step in 30 strokes.
7. Spoon the batter into each muffin cup. Fill to 3/4 of the cup.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 25min middle shelf.
My friends liked them very much, my bf loved them, had 1 at tea time then 2 after dinner. They were soft, moist with just a hint of sweetness. And because its made with carrots and fresh orange juice, and just that little sugar, I could eat them guilt-free!