This recipe is taken from Victoria Bakes; its so easy to make and quick too! Now I can even make bread on weekdays after work!
Ingredients (450g loaf pan)
260g bread flour
3g instant dry yeast
160-180g egg (use ONE XL egg) + full cream milk
30g sugar (10g if making a salty toast)
2g salt (6g for salty toast)
- Mix all ingredients (except butter) together in a big mixing bowl
- Stir and mix all until it is too difficult to mix.
- Incorporate butter and knead till window pane stage (crucial). **I used to knead in the bowl but today I did it on my big chopping board and it is so much easy to knead. With vigorous kneading this should taken about 10 min. Who needs to lift weights at the gym…
- Divide dough into 3 portions. Flatten each out and then roll up like swiss roll.
- Place into loaf pan. * I didn’t grease mine but lined with baking paper.
- Place the loaf pan in a warm place covered with clean tea towel to let the dough rise till almost double the size.
- Bake in preheated the oven to 170deg C for 45 – 50mins. I place a small tray of water in the oven as well during baking.
I didn’t follow the recipe exactly so the bread didn’t taste sweet enough (or salty enough) but it looked and smelled great and the texture was soft! And when just slightly toasted and spread with butter/jam/kaya/nutella, it was delicious! I also had some pandan juice I wanted to use up so to make up the egg and milk mixture I used 50ml pandan juice + 50ml full cream milk, warmed them up to lukewarm. The pandan taste wasn’t strong enough though but that is to be expected as i didnt use thick pandan extract!